Sunday, November 8, 2009

November: Week Two.

Monthly Theme: My family and I can serve others.
Scripture: “By love serve one another.” (Galatians 5:13)
Weekly Theme: My family will serve others.


Songs:
Singing a Song Is Fun To Do
Love One Another (ASL for Love One Another)
How Firm a Foundation
I Love to See the Temple

We started off our singing time today reviewing last week's thoughts about love and service. I asked them what things they did that week to serve their family and express their love. These are the times when you get to learn little tidbits about them and their family life.

In Junior Primary, we we put some of their weekly activities into the song Fun to Do! "Helping my mom is fun to do...", "Cleaning my room is fun to do...", "Sharing my toys is fun to do..." You get the idea. The Sunbeams had just sung this in their class, so it was extra reinforcement of the song, which I heard them singing in the halls on the way to Sacrament Meeting.

Then we discussed how giving service, like doing dishes and moving boxes into the garage (some of their examples from the week), are just two ways we can give service using our hands. When we sing with our hands, we are giving a service to those who can't hear as well, those who are deaf who speak or sing with their hands. Phrase by phrase, we learned the American Sign Language for Love One Another. We did it several times over and over so that we could learn it really well. I think they enjoyed it at first, but then a few of the older kids really started complaining. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe it wasn't challenging enough for them? Maybe it was too challenging?

Right before we signed and sang it through the last time, I asked them to be thinking of their favorite song to sing last. We had four different suggestions, so we voted and in Senior Primary we sang How Firm a Foundation, and in Junior Primay we sang I Love to See the Temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment