Monday, November 2, 2009

November: Week One.

Monthly Theme: My family and I can serve others.
Scripture: “By love serve one another.” (Galatians 5:13)
Weekly Theme: I am thankful for my family. I will serve them.


Songs:
When We're Helping We're Happy
I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus
Rain is Falling All Around
I Am a Child of God

Last Sunday, we focused on introducing the new monthly theme, by talking about how we can love and serve our family and others. The kids came up with a lot of chores they could help with, and then I suggested other ways we express love: with our words, with physical affection, with our eyes, etc.

Surprisingly, the kids didn't seem to know When We're Helping We're Happy, so we learned that and tried out a few different set of words with it.

We reviewed and sang I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus.

Then for fun, we continued with our version of Rain is Falling All Around, which we had been learning the week prior. I designated four children as section leaders. Each section leader was in charge of leading their section in singing their particular "season" of words.

1st Section - Sun is shining all around.
2nd Section - Rain is falling all around.
3rd Section - Leaves are falling all around.
4th Section - Snow is falling all around.

We had made up our own little hand movements for each set of words, so that it was easier to remember "where" the rain was falling... all around, on the rooftops, on the ground, on my nose, or hands, or toes.

We sang each of the verses all together, then I asked them if they had ever experienced a day with ALL the seasons at once. They laughed and said no (I guess that means that haven't lived long enough), so I suggested that we could try it out in Primary first. They thought this was a great idea. Each section leader led their section, and we experienced all the seasons at once.

They were a little worked up after the hurricane containing all four seasons blew through, so we ended by singing I Am a Child of God.

My plan was virtually the same with the younger children as it was with the older children, this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment